Data recovery refers to a process of retrieving data that is inaccessible as result of the storage media having been corrupted or damaged, partitioned, file deleted, etc. The storage media could be internal or external hard disk drives, USB flash disks, magnetic tapes, DVDs, CDs, among others.
Recovery is usually carried out if its a physical damage to the storage media or information damage has occurred to the file system making it impossible for the operating system to read or access. It important to note that data recovery should not be done on the same drive or else the recovered data overwrites the hidden files that you were to retrieve.
Unless one is informed on data recovery processes, it is advisable to seek services of a data recovery firm. Scenarios under which data can be lost and the data recovery options are listed below;
1. Hardware physical damage It can be addressed by replacing parts in the hard disk making it usable.
2. Information/logical damage This involves using a specialized disk imaging process to access and save on a reliable medium all the readable parts from the surface.
3. Malfunction or damage of the operating system It is recommended to partition disk and consistently store valuable data files separate from the replaceable Operating System files. A live CD is used to give a command to the system drive when moving files to the backup storage media.
4. Digital Photo loss A cameras photos can get damaged by causes of nature like water or fire, memory card being reformatted or accidentally deleting images in the memory card. To recover such data, its recommended to seek services of a Digital photo recovery firm.
5. Theft Data in the Internal and external hard disk drives can be recovered if a backup in form of a CD is in place. Creating passwords also helps to minimize cases of data loss.